DIY - Christmas Potpourri

Tuesday, December 15, 2015




At this time of year garden centres are filled with the amazing smell of CHRISTMAS which comes from the AMAZING smelling potpourri, however it can be a little on the pricey side! So I have created a way to make your own at home!

The most important thing to remember when making potpourri is the appeal not only lies in its pleasant scent but also the array of colours and textures it holds. Potpourri can really brighten up a table placed in a pretty bowl, and it also makes a pretty seasonal gift for family and friends.



Here's what I put in mine;
·      Dried orange slices
·      Dried apple slices
·      Whole nuts (with shells)
·      Cinnamon sticks
·      Whole cloves
·      Juniper berries
·      Dried rosehips
·      Bay leaves
·      Pine Cones
·         Essential oils - clove, cinnamon, orange, pine and cedar wood are all great together!


When putting it all together I just eyeball it, adding lots of bigger items such as pine cones, cinnamon sticks and the dried fruit slices and then I add small handfuls of the smaller items to add more texture and colour - cloves, berries, nuts, and bay leaves to add a bit of greenery. I put all of this into a jar and then sprinkle over the essential oils until I get the scent I want, each time after adding oil I gently stake the jar so that the oil spreads throughout. Once happy with the smell of the potpourri it's ready to place into a bowl as a table centre piece or package up as a gift!

You Might Also Like

0 comments